Monday, December 13, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree...

Every year we go out in search of the perfect Christmas tree. We decided to go out Saturday, and I was a little nervous, but it went better than I had anticipated!  Considering Jessalyn's sudden clingyness and the tantrum she threw that last time I took her out to play in the snow, and add to that fact that we went at NAP time, I thought it would be a quick trip.  Since it's about a 30 minute drive to the tree farm, we waited until we got there to bundle the kids up and much to my surprise Jessalyn willingly let me put on her her snow pants, hat and mittens.  In less than 5 minutes we were off!  I carried Jessalyn until my arms started hurting and then asked Aaron to take her.  His response: "No, she'll be fine, just put her down" (Seriously?!  Didn't he remember the horrible fit she threw last time?  Apparently not...)  I can only imagine the look on my face, but since he wasn't going to carry her I had no choice...


...and again I was surprised - she took off running!  "See?  It's just because I'm here," he boasted.  You've got to be kidding me!  She was totally fine!   


While we searched for our tree we played hide-n-seek between the trees, chased each other and even pretended that we were soldier guys trying to get to our tree before "the bad guys" could get us, running as fast as we could.
 
 Walking with Daddy : ) 

 
 Dominic's stick arrow for fighting the bad guys.

 Looking for our tree...

 Jessalyn likes this one!  

 Playing in the snow! 

We waited in the car while Aaron loaded up the tree and snacked on candy canes... 
  
 Jessalyn's face when Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer came on the radio! 

 Dominic: Rudolph the red nose reindeer, had a very shiny nose
If you ever saw it, you would say it glows
All of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names
They never let Rudolph play in any deer games
: ) 

When we got home we set to work decorating cookies and our tree while watching Rudolph! 

 
While we always put the "kid friendly" ornaments toward the bottom of the tree and the breakable/favorite ornaments go up top we don't usually let the kids play with their ornaments.  However, the tree has been up been for a day and a half and I'm constantly telling Jessalyn to leave the ornaments on the tree...I'm not sure if I can handle another 3 weeks of this!  I can feel my resolve cracking each time her little hand reaches toward an ornament.  Besides, what's the point of putting the kids' ornaments on the bottom if they can't play with them?


Presents are another story - they won't be out until Santa comesPutting them out now would be too much temptation...

No comments:

Post a Comment